The Colombian film ''La Sirga'', winner of the Films in Progress Award in Toulouse
''La Sirga'' also landed the CINÉ + Award, while ''Tanta Agua'' bagged the European distributors and exhibitors accolade.
La Sirga, produced by Óscar Ruiz Navia (Contravia Films) and Diana Bustamante (Burning Blue), in co-production with Thierry Lenouvel (Ciné-Sud Promotion, France), Edgar San Juan (Film Tank, México), Issa Guerra and Sebastián Sánchez (Puntoguionpunto, México), is the feature debut by Colombian director William Vega.
Colombia - France – Mexico.
Director: William Vega.
Cast: Joghis Arias, Julio César Roble, David Guacas, Heraldo Romero, Floralba Achicanoy, Heraldo Romero.
Alicia feels lost. The memory of war clings to her mind in a terrifying rumble. Thrown off her land by armed conflict, she tries to build a new life at “La Sirga”, a rundown boarding house on the shore of a large lagoon high up in the Andes mountain range. The place is owned by Oscar, her only surviving relative, an unsociable, solitary old man. There, in a miry, unstable beach, Alicia tries to plant new roots, until her fears and the threat of war reappear once again.
The Films in Progress Toulouse Award consists of post-production services provided by the partner companies and promotion services and initiatives for the winning film.
- CNC (Centre National du Cinéma et de L’Image Animée) will contribute with a grant towards the completion of a project, carrying €10,000 for post-production work in France.
- MACTARI will provide sound mixing services worth €15,000.
- TITRA TVS: will provide the subtitling for a first copy of the winning film.
- CAISSE CENTRALE D’ACTIVITÉS SOCIALES DU PERSONNEL DES INDUSTRIES ELECTRIQUES ET GAZIERES (CCAS) will provide 5 weeks’ accommodation to the winning director in order that he or she may secure post-production or promotion of the film in France.
- EAUX VIVES will coordinate post-production of the winning film, during four weeks and for an equivalent worth of €8,600.
- FIREFLY will provide the use of a suite of Firefly software tools for colour correction of the winning film.
- COMMUNE IMAGE will provide a film theatre equipped with a Christie DLP Cinema projector with real-time viewing on an 8-metre screen and a Firefly Cinema calibration console for digital post-production in HD, 2K or 4K, for an equivalent worth of €17,000, or a similar service for 10 days in an image editing room for an equivalent worth of €10,000.
Special CINÉ + en Construction Award, granted by the CINÉ + TV channel, worth €15,000, which guarantees purchase of the winning film by the channel and broadcast on television following release of the film in France
European Distributors and Exhibitors Award:
EUROPA DISTRIBUTION undertakes to promote the winning film among its network of 110 members and particularly among the 35 European distributor members of the Europa Distribution International (EDI) project.
CICAE (Confédération Internationale des Cinémas d’Art et Essai) will provide aid to diffusion of the winning film by distributing related information to the 2,000 CICAE member cinemas, thereby creating awareness of the film among distribution companies and boosting its circulation.
This initiative would be unable to exist without the backing of the following companies and institutions:
Best Digital, Casa de América, Caisse Centrale d’Action Sociale (CCAS), Centre National du Cinéma et de l’Image Animée (CNC), CINÉ +, Cinéma Sans Frontières (CSF), Cinéfondation, Commune Image, Confédération Internationale des Cinémas d’Art et Essai (CICAE), Conseil Général de la Haute Garonne, Conseil Régional Midi-Pyrénées, CROUS de Toulouse, Dolby, Eaux Vives, École Supérieure d’Audiovisuel (ESAV), EP2C-Postproduction Training Program, Europa Distribution, Firefly, Imasblue, Instituto Cervantes, Kodak (División de Cine Profesional), La Trame, Mactari, Mairie de Toulouse, Marché du Film, MEDIA Mundus, Nephilim Producciones, No Problem Sonido, Programa Ibermedia, Signis, Titra TVS and Vértigo Films.